Table of Contents
Best Microphones For YouTube Videos [Step-By-Step Guide 2022]
The most essential thing which is required for any type of vlogging is one exceptional microphone. It’s very important to have a good microphone if you are making any indoor or outdoor video.
Imagine you have created good HD or 4K quality video but audio quality is poor then obviously nobody is going to see that video.
A good microphone always helps to improve your voice quality by reducing background and unwanted voices while doing outdoor vlogging or recording.
Good To Know: Define real music with these wireless headphones.
I have a built-in mic in my DSLR camera or phone then why I should buy a microphone? If you are wondering about using built-in mic then you may have to compromise on the voice quality. Why? because built-in mics are omnidirectional, they are not made to filter out various noises. So they capture all surrounding sounds including noise, hiss and even air.
And imagine if someone is watching such videos then what will be their reaction. Yes, definitely they will lose interest.
When it comes to deciding about the best microphone for YouTube vlogging, it totally depends upon what type of videos you are thinking to do. Sometimes you may need multiple different types of microphones as per the situation.
Different types of microphone used in broadcasting :
1. XLR studio or USB Mics: These are most used microphones for voice recording. If you are looking for professional XLR mics then check for dynamic or condenser types along with your budget.
Dynamic mics are less sensitive and recommended while doing a recording with multiple peoples in the same room. Mostly such mics are used in live performances and usually, the person needs to be very close to the mic as well.
Condnser mics are very sensitive and accurate, hence used for solo performances in a quiet room. Only downside here is that they require external power.
2. Lavalier Mics: These are small in size and can clip to your shirt, collar. Suitable in situations where you don’t want to have to worry about how close to the mic you are – just clip them on and start recording. These mics are commonly used by judges, coaching classes, Anchors, Interviews and many more.
3. Shotgun Mics: Very common microphones that can be used easily with DSLR cameras. Usually, they are mounted on DSLR camera and gives good quality sound in the noisy environment. These mics are really good for recording from long distance as they have a very narrow sensitive area for capturing sound waves that are approaching from the front side.
As there are many different types of microphones that work well in different situations, we come up with the top Youtube mics in respective categories which definitely will help you to make the right decision.
Top USB Microphones For Vlogging:
USB microphones provide a simple way of making a high-quality voice recording on your own computer without using lots of pieces of equipment and with the very easy setup. These are portable and can be used with PC, Mac, Laptop, and iPad. The only downside is that they are difficult to upgrade.
1. Blue Yeti: [Professional USB MIC For Recording & Streaming]
Discover exceptional voice recording with your computer using this Yeti family microphone.
- Proprietary tri-capsule technology which produces pristine, studio-quality recordings with legendary ease.
- Four different pattern settings [Cardioid, Stereo, Omnidirectional, Bidirectional] offer incredible flexibility to record vocals, music, podcasts, audio for video, interviews, game streaming.
- Produces studio-quality recordings every time.
- Provides studio controls for headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute.
- Equipped with a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack that allows you to listen to what you’re recording in real-time and that also with zero latency.
- Innovative design which makes recording easy.
- Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8 (including 8.1), Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (Home and Professional), and Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher), and requires a minimum of 64 MB of RAM.
- Built-in headphone amplifier.
- Two-year limited warranty.
2. Samson Meteor Mic USB Studio Mic:
Perfect for your home studio, Skype, iChat or voice recognition software.
- Has one of the largest condenser diaphragms (25mm) of any USB mic available.
- Its cardioid unidirectional microphone, smooth frequency response and 16-bit, a 44.1/48kHz resolution is sufficient for professional audio results.
- Can be used directly with your computer’s USB input, no external drivers required.
- Smooth, flat frequency response of 20Hz–20kHz.
- Stereo 1/8″ headphone output for zero-latency monitoring along with headphone volume knob gives you complete control.
- Fold-back leg design for optimal mic positioning.
- Three-year limited warranty.
3. Samson Go Mic:
Its custom compact design makes it super handy and perfect USB microphone for recording, podcasting, webcasting, “Skype”-ing from your laptop or desktop computer.
- Portable USB condenser microphone.
- Mac and PC compatible, no drivers required.
- Custom, compact design that clips to a laptop or sits on a desk.
- Switchable cardioid and omnidirectional pickup patterns for more flexibility.
- 16-bit, 44.1kHz resolution.
- Smooth, flat frequency response of 20Hz–18kHz.
- Stereo 1/8″ headphone output for no latency monitoring.
4. Blue Snowball-MW USB:
The most classic studio quality USB microphones for any application.
- Unique two-condenser-capsule design for capturing vocals, music, podcasts, gaming and more.
- Comes with Cardioid, Omni, and cardioid with pad pickup options.
- Includes fully adjustable metal mic stand and USB cable.
- Plug and play with Mac and PC.
- Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8 (including 8.1), Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (Home and Professional), and Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher), and require a minimum of 64 MB of RAM.
- Two-year limited warranty.
Top XLR Microphones for podcasting and voice:
If you really want to improve your YouTube audio quality then you should try XLR microphones. XLR mics are easy to upgrade just change out cables and interfaces and you are good to go. The only downside is that they are more costly as compared to USB microphones.
1. Rode Procaster:
These are specifically designed for recording, broadcast applications, voice-over recording where wide frequency response and low distortion are demanded.
- Dynamic mic with XLR connection
- Ultra-low noise.
- Cardioid polar pattern with high 180-degree rejection.
- Voice-tailored low-cut filter.
- Internal shock mount and pop filter minimize handling noise and plosives.
- One year with free extension to 10 years after registration.
2. Audio-Technica ATR2100:
This Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone is ideal for performers, songwriters, podcasters, voiceovers, and musicians, allowing direct USB connection to a Mac or Windows computer.
- Handheld dynamic microphone with USB digital output and XLR analog output.
- USB output connects to your computer for digital recording, while the XLR output connects with your sound system’s conventional microphone input for use in live performance.
- Smooth, extended frequency response best suited for podcasting, home studio recording, field recording, voiceover, and on-stage use.
- High-quality AD converter with 16 Bit, 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac.
- Low-mass diaphragm provides excellent frequency response.
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of unwanted sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source.
- On/off switch functions for both USB and analog operation.
3. Audio-Technica AT2035 :
Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone which is designed to isolate sounds from the sides and rear.
- Large diaphragm for smooth, natural sound and low noise
- High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility.
- Custom shock mount for superior isolation.
- Switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter and 10 dB pad for noise reduction.
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source.
- Includes custom shock mount & protective pouch.
- Capable of handling sound pressure levels of up to 158dB.
- Provide natural sounds with high fidelity and minimal distortion.
- Suited for studio recordings and live onstage performances.
- You can record vocals from two singers at a time with minimum distortion.
Top Lavalier Mics For YouTube video:
These are great because they are convenient to carry while traveling as well as while recording a video. Simply clip to your shirt or collar and you are ready for video.
Here only thing to consider is connector type as some are designed for a smartphone while some are for DSLRs but using correct adapters you can make them work.
1. Rode SmartLavPlus Lavalier Mic:
A broadcast-grade wearable microphone designed for use in a wide range of film, television and broadcast scenarios. Simply mount the microphone on the person, connects it to a smartphone or tablet headset jack and records via the RØDE Rec app for iOS, or any other audio app of their choice.
- Broadcast quality, professional-grade Lavalier Mic with TRRS Jack.
- High-quality omni-directional condenser capsule.
- Discrete 4.5mm miniature microphone.
- Compatible with iOS devices and select Android devices.
- Kevlar® reinforced cable.
- Includes windshield and durable mounting clip
- compatible with any audio app that accepts input from the headset connection.
- Combine with an SC3 adapter to use with TRS devices.
- Combine with SC6 dual TRRS input adapter to use two smartLav+ with one smartphone.
- Professional quality omnidirectional condenser capsule picks up sound equally from all around the microphone.
- Twelve-month warranty.
2. Giant Squid Audio Lab Omnidirectional Mic:
Renowned lapel microphone that works well in all kinds of setups. Though it’s at the most affordable choices, the quality of its sound can likely blow you away.
- Comes with standard 3.5 mm microphone jack which makes it more suitable for most of the standard devices, including computers, laptops, cameras etc.
- The sound has a good amount of detail and crispness, especially when paired with a good recorder.
- compatible with specialized recorders like Zoom H1, Zoom H4n which helps in reducing room and ambient noise.
3. Audio-Technica AT899 Subminiature:
Intended for interviews, documentary, film, theater, and stage applications. Its omnidirectional pick-up pattern captures evenly around the perimeter of the capsule as well as directly in-line.
- Maximum intelligibility and clean, accurate reproduction for vocalists, lecturers, stage and television talent, and houses of worship.
- Low-profile design (a mere 5 mm in diameter) is ideal for applications requiring minimum visibility.
- Operates on battery or phantom power.
- An extensive array of provided accessories like clothing clip, viper clip, magnet clip and lanyard (black models only), windscreens, element covers, interchangeable single and double mic holders.
- Accessories available separately include complete accessory kits, clothing clips, three-pack element covers and three-pack windscreens.
- 9.8′ (3.0 m) cable permanently attached to mic, TA3F connector at power module.
- RoHS compliant-free from all substances specified in the EU directive on hazardous substances.
4. Rode RODELINKFM FM Wireless Filmmaker System:
This is the next generation of digital wireless systems for film and video production that features a transmitter, receiver, and an included lavalier microphone.
- Designed to be connected to a DSLR camera or digital recorder.
- Series II, 2.4GHz digital transmission along with 128-bit encryption makes it powerful and secure.
- Up to 100 meters range.
- OLED display (on the receiver).
- One button pairing
- Three level gain control.
- AA battery or USB powered.
- Includes broadcast lavalier microphone.
- Two years extended warranty if its registered.
5. Saramonic WM4CX2:
Ideal for filmmaking, conducting broadcast interviews and business presentations – or any other need that requires portability and great sound quality.
- Four switchable channels to keep you free from interference.
- A detachable and flexible antenna which can be rotated 360 degrees accordingly for best sound.
- The high-band VHF provides pure sound.
- Record audio up to 60 metes away with no obstacle
- Volume control wheel
- LED indicator light indicates battery life.
- Includes a belt-pack transmitter, camera mountable receiver and an omnidirectional lavalier microphone.
6. Audio-Technica ATR-3350iS:
This high-quality condenser is ideal for video use and is a favorite choice for aerobics/ dance/sports instructors. This lavalier microphone is engineered for intelligible, accurate voice reproduction.
- Dual-mono 1/8″ output plug connects to a video camera, DSLR, or handheld audio recorder’s stereo 1/8″ input, to record audio on both left and right channels.
- The omnidirectional polar pattern offers full coverage.
- Includes adapter for use with newer smartphones (Android, iPhone, more).
- Includes tie clip, LR44 battery, foam windscreen.
Top on-camera shotgun mics for vlogging:
If you are doing videography with your DSLR camera then the good microphone is a must for good audio. In such cases shotgun mics are really helpful, they automatically reject the sounds which are not coming from the front side or in other words they reject the sound coming from more than about 30 degrees off to the sides.
Another benefit of shotgun mics is that you can mount them on a tripod while doing vlogging and come closer to the subject.
1. Rode NTG2:
Designed for professional audio capturing in the field or indoors. Due to its lightweight, it can be used as camera mounted mic or on a boom pole.
- Broadcast sound quality
- Low noise circuitry
- Condenser transducer
- Rugged metal construction
- Two step High Pass Filter (Flat/80Hz)
- P48 phantom power or AA battery option
- Low handling noise
- Low weight – 161g (5.17 oz.)
- Includes mic clip, windshield and zi, case.
- Ideal for professional applications within the film, video, television and production industries
- 10 year extended warranty when you register online.
2. Rode VMPRPLUS:
It is a true shotgun microphone designed for use with camcorders, DSLR cameras and portable audio recorders as a source of primary and reference audio.
- Automatic Power Function with plug-in power
- Power via LB-1, 2 x AA Batteries, Micro USB
- Ships with LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, Detachable 3.5mm TRS Cable, Micro USB Cable
- Built-in Battery Door
- Optimised Windshield Shape
- Digital Switching and recording modes
- LED indicator for power source and charging/discharging status
- Audio level adjustment
- Dual high-pass filter options
- Improved RF immunity
- Ambient light detect to boost LED brightness
- best in class Rycote Lyre shock-mounting on-board
- 10-year extended warranty when you.
3. TAKSTAR SGC-598:
One of the best low-budget DSLR microphone and best suited for an interview, micro movie, indoor interview, wedding photography.
- High sensitivity condenser microphone specially designed for camera
- Cardioid directivity characteristic can effectively reduce the ambient noise
- Optional +10dB sensitivity tone up and 200Hz bass filter meet the demand of different applications
- Shockproof design can reduce the mechanical noise of cameras and other vibration noise
- Rugged all mic housing features effective EMI resistance.
- Powered by 1.5V AA alkaline battery, playtime is up to 100hrs.
- Low power indicator.
4. Tascam TM-2X:
It’s a high-quality and value for money stereo X-Y pattern condenser DSLR microphone to record stereo audio directly to your DSLR camera’s microphone input.
- High-performance X-Y stereo condenser mics
- Delivers high audio quality and the capacity to handle high sound pressures
- Built-in stereo mini plug output can be connected directly to the camera mic input for simple setup
- Floating structure reduces handling noise
- On-board Low-cut filter eliminates unwanted low frequencies
- Furry windscreen to reduce wind noise
- Designed with the capacity to easily handle high sound pressures up to 120 dB SPL
- Included noise isolation arm to reduce lens operation noise
- Two-stage output level adjustment switch ensures compatibility with a variety of cameras
- Vari-angle microphone structure allows 180º rotation for optimal mic placement
- Included shoe adapter (ISO/JIS specification compliant) can be attached to the camera accessory shoe
- Tripod mounting threads enable the unit to be attached to a camera tripod
- 33cm connection cord supports connections in a variety of manners
- Lightweight design (75 g) that won’t interrupt camera balance or handling
- Stereo mini-plug output jack
- Operates on plug-in power from the connected unit.
5. SHURE VP83F:
It is a compact camera-mount condenser that provides detailed, high-definition audio with DSLR cameras and camcorders. It includes a MicroSDHC flash media card slot so you can use this mic without a camera if needed. It also has extremely fine gain control so you can adjust the volume quickly as per your situation.
- Integrated digital flash recording (MicroSDHC, up to 32 GB) for WAV file capture at 24-bit / 48 kHz sampling rate
- Dedicated headphone audio output for real-time headphone monitoring
- High sensitivity and low self-noise with wide frequency range for natural audio reproduction
- Highly directional supercardioid / lobar polar pattern that rejects unwanted off-axis audio while clearly capturing the intended sound source
- Superior RF immunity that avoids unwanted audio artifacts from cellular and RF devices
- Easy-to-read, back-lit LCD screen that displays audio and battery metering, track information, headphone volume, mic gain, low-cut filter, and remaining recording time
- Easily accessible MicroSD card slot that allows quick “pop-out” card access
- The five-position joystick that provides advanced user controls for headphone monitoring, low-cut filter and mic gain adjustments, track management, and playback support
- One-touch record button that facilitates fast audio capture and allows for pausing and stopping
- Adjustable user gain (up to 60 dB in 1 dB increments) for fine-tuning audio
- Integrated Rycote® Lyre® shock mounting system that provides robust isolation from vibration and mechanical noise (exclusively developed with Rycote for the VP83F)
- Durable, all-metal construction that meets legendary Shure quality standards in a lightweight design
4 Must-Have Accessories For Microphones:
Below are a few must-have accessories which can make a huge difference in your voice recording quality and should never be neglected.
Pop Filter: It reduces the popping sound caused by the mechanical impact of fast-moving air on the microphone during recording and singing. Addition to this pop filter also protects the microphone from the accumulation of human saliva.
- Wright Wp 101 Pop Filter
Mic Stand: It is a free-standing mount for a microphone. It allows the microphone to be positioned in the studio, on stage or on location without requiring a person to hold it.
- Neewer 40063970 Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand for Mic
Shock Mount: Provides basic protection from damage. Their main purpose is to insulate microphones from mechanically transmitted noise.
- Neewer 40060006
Reflection Filter: These are curved screens consisting of a range of layers that breaks the sound and scatter it at a source before it has a chance to bounce around the room. In short, they filter out unwanted reflections.
- Mic Isolation Shield
- LyxPro VRI-30
What Microphones Do YouTubers Use?
All of the above. Let see below some professional YouTubers, vloggers along with their collection of microphones.
1. Edgar Oganesyan:
- Sennheiser MKH 416-P 48 U3 Condenser Mic
- Zoom H5 Four-Track Portable Recorder
2. Tim Ferriss:
- Shure SM58-LC Vocal Mic
- Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Mic
3. Sara Dietschy:
- Blue Microphones Snowball iCE Condenser Mic
- Zoom iQ6 iOS Lightning X/Y Mic iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Rode VMPR VideoMic Pro R with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount, Black
4. Sean Cannell:
- Rode VMPR VideoMic Pro R
- Rode VMPRPLUS Compact Directional On-Camera Mic
- Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder
5. Aaron Zollo:
- Audio-Technica AT2035 Large Diaphragm Studio Condenser Mic
- Rode SmartLavPlus Lavalier
- Heil Sound PR40 Dynamic Performance Mic PR 40 NEW
So this was our in-depth list of the best microphone for YouTube that you can buy. If you think we missed out on any of your favorite microphones do let us know in the comment section.